Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My schnauzer is not eating as he did. it has been over a

Customer Question

hello,
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: my schnauzer is not eating as he did. it has been over a month that he is acting like that.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: he is 6 months old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: we did blood exams and found that he had some liver issue, probably related to fat diet. we changed that, started giving him liver medice but he is still not eating as he did
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: but appart of that he seens perfectly healthy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Schnauzer. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is he losing any weight? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Can you tell me anything else about the liver issue? That could be affecting his appetite. What tests were done? Has it been checked to see if the liver numbers have gotten better or worse since the diet change?

What liver medicine are you already giving? I don't want to recommend anything you have already tried.

The liver problem would be where I would look first. I would repeat the blood tests to see if the liver numbers are better or worse. If they are worse, I would try to find out exactly what the liver problem is. Having abnormal liver values on blood tests just tells us that something is wrong with the liver, but does not tell us what. It could be a blockage, hepatitis, fatty liver, and since the liver is involved with digestion, the intestines or pancreas could be involved.

Let me know what other questions I can answer, and if you have copies of his blood tests I could look at.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my response. How is he doing?

Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any other questions.