Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Not really sure she seems very quiet and lerthargic, Teku,

Customer Question

Not really sure she seems very quiet and lerthargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Teku, 21/2years old
JA: How old is Teku?
Customer: 2 1/2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teku?
Customer: When my husband pick her up she cried,
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she has these signs?

Where did he put pressure when he lifted her?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any back pain or soreness in her limbs if you press there?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling, breathing changes, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She did have a bone while we were walking
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She had eaten some of a bone this morning
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

And is she tender in her belly since eating this?

Did the bone have sharp edges (you can look at what is left to appreciate this)?

Did she likely eat a single large hunk or bits?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am sure, but I took it from her as some as I saw her nawing it on. It looked like it was a rib bone from pork or beef
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her tummy does feel tense
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now with that tense tummy and a bone being involved, I am concerned that she may have eaten a sharp shard that could be causing gut irritation, damage, or even blockage. Therefore, we do need to tread with care.

Now if Teku has just had this in the past hour, you could have her seen by her vet for an xray +/- scoping to remove any bone still in the stomach. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** you can do at home, monitoring is key at this stage. So, for the next 24-48 hours, we'd want to make sure that her gut stays comfortable and doesn't become any more tense or sore. Furthermore, we want to monitor for restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If we see any of these signs, then we'd have to assume its stuck or causing real damage and would want to have her vet feel her stomach +/- xray to assess the situation.

Otherwise, while monitoring, we would want to put her on an easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice/pasta/boiled plain potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg, meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose, offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled. Furthermore, add a spoon of canned pumpkin (a good fiber source) +/- a dose of cat hair ball medication or GI lubricant (ie lactulose, food grade mineral oil, or Miralax) over the next few days to encourage the bone to slip through the GI and keep moving along. Of course, do note that if you use the GI lubricants, we can a bit more loose feces while they are being used (so don't be alarmed). With these supports we will hopefully keep the bone from getting caught and get them out via her feces.

Overall, when dogs eat bits of bones, we do have obstruction and gut damage concerns. And this would explain why she is quiet and lethargic with that tense belly. So, we do need to tread with care. If possible, we'd want to have her seen but otherwise we can monitor and use the above. Though any hint of those worrying signs I noted, and we'd want to have a check with her vet as an xray and possible surgical retrieval would be indicated. But hopefully since her signs sound mild, you may find that she will pass this for us within the next 24-48 hours.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )