Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

She is a healthy four yr old akc beagle. She started hiding

Customer Question

She is a healthy four yr old akc beagle. She started hiding under the shed. She constantly cries to go back out there. She is eating and drinking normally no vomiting and not pregnant. The house is air conditioned. No changes in the household. I'm at a complete loss here....
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the beagle eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Pepper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepper?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Have you looked under the shed to see what is enticing there?

Is she spayed and if not is there an upcoming heat cycle?

How is she doing as far as play, walks etc.? Is there any hesitancy?

If you block the shed area off from her what does she do?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is not spayed. She does usually have an august heat cycle. Usually going into heat she is visibly swollen from behind and she sleeps alot. Now she is pacing panting pawing at me and whining. There is only a dirt hole under the shed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No hesitancy to play or go for a car ride. She found her way under the shed despite our efforts to block it. She is crying alot.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Each heat cycle is going to hit a dog differently especially as they age. She is showing nesting behavior and since she is nearing the heat cycle then I would suspect that is what is going on. the hormones do start to change near a heat cycle and sometimes produce too much progesterone. Dogs with a high progesterone level will nest, cry , whine . become clingy and some will show signs of a pregnant dog.

Some dogs hide under things because they are in pain, but from what you describe she is actively playing and getting in and out of the car with no hesitation so I don't think she is in pain.

At this point I would put up with it, and watch it, as long as there are no physical health symptoms showing.