Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

I have a 3lb. rescue dog who was doing great Sunday, on

Customer Question

I have a 3lb. rescue dog who was doing great Sunday, on Monday he started vomiting and became lethargic, would not eat or drink. I took him to the vet they gave him a shot for nausea, this was on Monday, on Tuesday I took him back to the vet and he was again not eating, vomiting but his stools were good. Today I took him to the vet and after they ran some blood work, I was told he had liver and kidney failure. I am beside myself and trying to figure out what can be done.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He has been treated for both hook and tape worms
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this....if your dog is young and has liver and kidney failure then my biggest concern would be leptospirosis......and since this is transmissible people you should definitely have the dog tested for that. Also the only hope of trying to save your dog would come through hospitalization with IV fluid therapy and antibiotics id there is an infection leading to all of this. Intensive treatment with trying to search for an treat etiology is the only hope that you have for saving your little dog. I am very surprised that the veterinarian did not discuss this with you. If you have any questions that I can help you with feel free to leave them here as I check my computer every night. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!

Please note that the information I provide is intended as general information only and not intended to replace the advice of your veterinary professional

Sincerely, DRB