Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My son let her outside. She came back not able to close her

Customer Question

My son let her outside. She came back not able to close her mouth. It has been three days. Today it looks a little better but it is still open a little.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maia
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maia?
Customer: She was a stray that show in my yard 5 years ago. She is a pit. I had her fixed. I keep her in the house. She is a well mannered dog. Never sick.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has anyone checked under her tongue and on the roof of her mouth to be sure that she doesn't have something stuck there?
2) Any pictures of her mouth being open?
3) Can she eat and drink still?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I didn't anything in the roof of her mouth. The tongue doesn't appear to have anything under it. She is eating fine. It takes a long time to drink but she is drinking. When she sleeps or suns outside her mouth closes. But when she is walking around or sitting it is open. I can put my hand under her mouth and it closes. But it does not stay. I do not have pictures but I van take sone

Pictures or video would be great.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like and to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, you can post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have failed with the photos. I thank you for offering to help me. I will take her to the vet in the morning. Thank you again.