Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog has hot stots on side of face and stomach

Customer Question

my dog has hot stots on side of face and stomach
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I am very sorry to hear that your dog has these hot spots.

These can be quite an issue for them since it is a moist dermatitis that can be terribly itchy and spread very fast. Now if this isn't severe, we can try some supportive care to help it settle. Of course, if it is severe or she is very irritated, then we'd need to have your local vet dispense oral antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories to treat this from the inside out.

Otherwise, to start, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). If the hair is long in these areas and locking in moisture, then you may need to clip or shave the area with care. Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream and then a hydrocortisone cream. The former can help with the infection and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put a tshirt on her as a breathable cover to protect the stomach area. Though for the face, you may need to use an e-collar to keep her from scratching.

As well, since these lesions can often be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, hot spots can be severely irritating for our dogs as well as run the risk of spreading over the body. Therefore, we'd want to use the above just now but if this is causing severe irritation or she doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by her vet as systemic/oral treatment may be needed to clear this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
Hi Douglas,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?