PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

The lymph nodes under chin and nd legs are enlarged is that

Customer Question

The lymph nodes under chin and hind legs are enlarged is that always cancer
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: She has been licking her foot
JA: What is the hind 's name and age? $$new token = $minimal name token 00S a: ( < [ she he it 'I qwords interjections
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** We took her to vet today and had tests done. I am in a panic . Does the enlarged nodes always indicate cancer or can it be severe infections.
JA: How old is storm?
Customer: 10 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about storm?
Customer: No . The enlarged nodes seem to become enlarged in a few days.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Enlarged lymph nodes don't always mean cancer. It simply means that there is something stimulating the immune response in that area. It could certainly mean that there is an infection.

That said, at 10 years of age, there is an increased risk of cancer. In this case, I would not simply assume that it's an infection. I would have her examined and, if indicated, started on treatment. Most often if an infection is present, antibiotics will result in a pet having improvement in the size of the nodes within just a few days.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I indicated she is licking her feet. You had mentioned her feet does that indicate anything to you? Also how much does this cost ?

I don't set the prices for the questions. I simply work with the customer to answer their questions. I will happily contact customer service for you at the end of the discussion.

Licking her feet could be due to many things including injury, infection, allergies, etc. Infection and allergies could potentially cause the lymph nodes to enlarge. I'd still recommend an exam, but if you wanted to try antihistamines I doubt that it would cause her any harm. It may stop her licking, but the lymph nodes reducing in size would be more delayed. There's a list of what pets can take here and their dosages. I like zyrtec the best for allergies, personally:

Checking in, JACustomer. Did you have any additional questions I could answer for you in regards ***** ***** swollen lymph nodes?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?