Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My rat terrier seems to want to throw up but swallows it. It

Customer Question

My rat terrier seems to want to throw up but swallows it. It is worse when he has dog food with chicken. Could he be allergic to chicken and if so what should I feed him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Dietary allergies are very common and can cause nausea. We normally wean a dog off one food onto another. If you suspect a dietary allergy, I suggest going to a Limited ingredient Diet with a Novel Protein source. Natural Balance makes this type of food called Natural ba***** *****D. It has various flavors with different protein sources, which include Rabbit, Venison, Bison, Duck and Salmon to mention a few. These are grain free as well and may suit J.J. better. I would consider weaning him over onto this food and see how he does with them. For the nausea I would try 1/4 of a Pepcid AC 10mg before the meal and can give every 12 hours to help with the nausea until weaned onto the new diet.

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.
Hi Sherry,

I'm just following up on our conversation about J.J.. How is everything going?