PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Another ear allergy flare up, just looking solution rather

Customer Question

Another ear allergy flare up, just looking for home solution rather than another vet trip.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rex, male pit mix, 5 years, has seizures currently takes bromine and phenobarb
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rex?
Customer: when we got him 3 years ago he was just getting over demodex. up to date on all shots.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What issues are you seeing with Rex?
2) Is he on any regular meds aside from those for seizures?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Head shaking, scratching until bleeding, smelly build up in ears.

There are lots of things we can do at home to help with ear issues. Your success will determine if you need to see your vet again or not. The earlier preventive methods take place, the better. If this is a problem he's had in the past, consider once weekly cleanings to prevent further problems.

I would start with an ear flush like this one that should work well against bacterial and yeast buildup:

As well, pitbulls are prone to allergies so I would get him started on antihistamines as soon as possible. There is an OTC human antihistamine known as Zyrtec that can be used. It does not appear to have any reactions with the mediations he's already taking. Here is the dosing info: You may need to use this daily for a week or more before seeing the most benefit from it. If prone to ear issues, keeping him on the antihistamine continually at least through summer should help him, as well.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

On top of the

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Rex doing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Bought the ear cleanser yesterday and started benadryl as well. Seems better today, but it's only been 18 hrs since we started treatment.

Keep me posted. I hope all goes well.