PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Last night my 4lbs chihuahua fell off the bed. About 20 mins

Customer Question

Last night my 4lbs chihuahua fell off the bed. About 20 mins later he started to have a seizure lasting about 2 mins. When the seizure was over he was walking funny and was disoriented but that subsided within 10-15 mins. He then wanted to wander around the house, didn't want to lay down with me, which is out of character a bit. Finally he ended up laying down and sleeping through the night. This morning he seems ok but I am wondering what I should be looking for as far as symptoms if something is still wrong.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jagger, 14 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jagger?
Customer: At the age of 2 years old he became very sick and was hospitalized for 10 days. The vet could never diagnose him and claimed it to be cancer. I took him home and was feeding him through a feeding tube in his stomach for 3 months. He miraculously got better and hasn't had any issues since, except for the fact that he never gains weight, stays between 3.8-4 lbs since age 2. In the past 3 years he has developed cataracts, but the vet will not do surgery on him due to his age. He is a happy dog, just wants to be with me all the time. He gets around the house well, a few bumps here and there due to eye sight but nothing serious. This was the first big fall he's had.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Anytime that a pet has a seizure, it's best to have a physical exam performed and updated blood work to ensure that there's nothing treatable that has caused it. Most time head trauma and/or stress are the causes. Our biggest concern at this point would be continued seizure activity. I would keep your eyes peeled for more issues, but also make sure you're logging those he has so a timeline can be established for the future.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: