Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 9 year old pit started acting differently about 2 days

Customer Question

My 9 year old pit bull started acting differently about 2 days ago. She's always been on the lazy side but not she is especially inactive and, most different of all, she hasn't touched her food today and I don't believe she has drank anything today. Just now, she woke my husband up in the middle of the night with her excessive panting and labored breathing. It almost looks like it's hard for her to take a deep breath. My husband mentioned that earlier today when she finally got up to go outside to the bathroom she had diarrhea. Any ideas of what it could be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: To tell the truth she hasn't been to the vet in a few years and I would definitely call her overweight. Another significant change is that she won't come up and lay in out bed to sleep like she always does. It's like she is keeping her distance.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Can you check her gum color- is it pink or blue or pale?

Can you also press on the sides of her abdomen- is it normal or hard or fluidy feeling?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We just got back from the pet er. She has blood surrounding her heart and stomach due to a tumor by her heart. She is home now with us for one more night and then we will be putting her down within the next few days.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. These are common and aggressive tumors in dogs. You made the right decision.