Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
Depending on the ounces of cocoa powder used in making the brownies, your dog may have ingested a potentially toxic dose. The best thing to do is to make him vomit. You can do this at home by giving 1 table spoon hydrogen peroxide per 10 lbs or by taking her to an emergency vet that will give her an injection. The injection is more reliable and does not cause the stomach and esophageal irritation that peroxide will cause so this is the best thing but if you are far away or unable to take him in, you can try peroxide. The vet can also give activated charcoal to absorb any cocoa that has passed out of the stomach and into the intestines before she was able to vomit it up. Symptoms of chocolate ingestion are vomiting, restlessness, hyperactivity, an increased heart rate, abnormal heart rhythm or seizures in the case of high exposures.
Ideally, the best thing to do is to take her to an emergency veterinarian and have her observed for any of these signs so they can be treated as indicated. If you elect to not take her in, and she vomits after giving her the peroxide, you should monitor her closely for the next 12-24 hours.
You can check her heart rate (put your hand on her chest and count each time you feel a thump) or pulse (place your fingers at the point where the rear leg meets the body) by counting the number of thumps or pulses in a minute. Normal for a dog her size is about 110-120 beats per minute. If she is faster than this, or if she is hyper excited, restless, has seizures or continues to vomit, she should be seen by a veterinarian and treated appropriately. Since chocolate ingestion can also cause GI upset, you can also feed her a bland diet as follows for the next 2-3 days.
A bland diet consists of a lean protein source (boiled skinless chicken breast, low fat turkey breast boiled low fat hamburger, or low fat collage cheese) and rice or plain pasta (no butter or salt!!! that will make her feel worse). Feed this in a 2:1 ratio of protein to carbohydrate and transition he back to her regular diet in 2-3 days if she has not had any issues.
If you have further questions or need clarification, please feel free to let me know. If i have been able to answer your questions satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have follow up questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.
All the Best,