PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is constipated -- not vomiting or anthing like that,

Customer Question

Hi -- my dog is constipated -- not vomiting or anthing like that, I saw him this Am go a very small amount and none since, rubbed his bummm on the ground -- can I add some Metamucil to water to help him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that we are aware of
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: he tries to lay down, and then within a few minutes he is up an pacing while whimpering
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no generally heathly
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

You can give metamucil, but it's easier to mix it into soft food. Make sure to give plenty of water. The dosage is:

Small dogs: 1/2 tsp twice daily
Med dogs: 1 tsp twice daily
Large dogs: 2 tsp twice daily

Alternately, you can also add in pure canned pumpkin to the diet.

You should begin to see improvement in the first 12-24 hours.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. Did these instructions help your companion?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy