Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Our dog had severe diarrhea and some vomiting, took m to the

Customer Question

Our dog had severe diarrhea and some vomiting , took him to the vet , they gave him an IV and anti biotic and told us to put him on a bland diet and keep an eye on him . This was four days ago , since then he seems fine , but has not had a bowel movement . Should we call the vet or take him in or try something to help him go
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did The eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nn
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about The?
Customer: Not sure , they eat alot of stuff in the grass.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 6 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your boy has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

What medication is he on?

Are you still feeding the bland diet and if so what exactly are you feeding him?

Has he tried to pass stool at all?

Is he eating and keeping it down?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's on metronidazole twice a day. He's been eating a bland diet twice a day without throwing up or having diarrhea. He seems to have no interest in having a bowel movement. His meals consist of ground turkey with small amount amounts of wet dog food, and sometimes an egg. Previously he was getting rice and ground turkey.
Expert:  Candy replied 6 months ago.

Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to type up your answer

Expert:  Candy replied 6 months ago.

Sometimes the bland diet especially the rice can cause some constipation, in some dogs the Metronidazole can do this as well. It is also not uncommon for them to not go as often when on a bland human food diet because the body is using the majority of the food leaving little to be expelled.

What you could do is try giving a stool softener such as Colase 1 adult dose. As long as he is eating and keeping it down and not straining to go then I would give him another 24 hours. If he does not pass stool by tomorrow then I would give your vet a call and see what step they would like for you to take next.

I hope this helps give you some direction and helps to ease your mind. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.
Candy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We did put some liquid fish oil in with his last meal, shouldn't that help him?
Expert:  Candy replied 6 months ago.

That may help. In that case I would skip the stool softener and lets see how he does over the next 24 hours. We really do not get to concerned unless a dog goes more then 5 days, is straining or is not eating or vomits when eating.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Candy replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome. Please give him a good pet from me.

Please note that while rating does suspend our conversation so I can assist other pet owners, it does not close out your question. You can come back at any time for follow up at no additional charge.