Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

He can't get up to stand and cries when he tries. He is

Customer Question

He can't get up to stand and cries when he tries. He is lethargic and has so.e discharge coming from his penis
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dutch, he is a 3 yr old Boerboel (south African mastiff) weighing 165 pounds.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boerboel?
Customer: He is generally very healthy, I can't get him up to bring to the vet because he is so big. We live in the country and I'm afraid of ticks and snakes.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jennifer Van Noy replied 3 months ago.

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Dutch.

I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you’re satisfied with the information I’ve provided. I’ll do my best to earn your good rating, because that’s the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I’ll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• How long has Dutch been not able to get up?
  • Are you able to localize where it hurts?
  • Can you take his temperature?
  • Is he still eating and drinking okay?