Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

What is the dosage of Robitussin DM for Kennel Cough in a dog?

Customer Question

My dog, Bear , seems to have kennel cough. I read the question and answer on your site and it looks and sounds just like that. He was recently boarded at a facility with our two other dogs and all were given the vaccine. He started coughing last night. I don't see him spitting out any phlegm yet. He is healthy otherwise. I want to try the robitussin dm but the link to the dosing page does not work. How much can I give him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Considering the history of being boarded 3-10 days prior to the onset of symptoms and the fact that the vaccine isn't 100% protective, kennel cough should be the most important differential diagnosis for Bear. Thankfully, kennel cough usually remisses unaided within three weeks. I rarely treat an otherwise normal adult dog unless coughing is so excessive as to require a narcotic antitussive (anti-cough drug) such as codeine or butorphanol.

Please note that dextromethorphan (the DM in Robitussin DM) is not longer recommended for dogs due to lack of efficacy and potential toxicity - agitation, hallucination, nervousness, mydriasis (wide open pupils), shaking, vomiting, or diarrhea. This product is more likely to suppress cough because of its high alcohol content which also should be avoided because dogs don't tolerate alcohol well. You're likely to see a better response to honey dosed at 1 measuring teaspoon (small dog) to 1 measuring tablespoon (large dog) every few hours.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for a couple of hours but promise to reply as soon as I return.