Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Female lab, 14 and 1/2. Bowels have been incontinent 6

Customer Question

Female lab, 14 and 1/2. Bowels have been incontinent for about 6 months. Yesterday for first time. she urinated all across the kitchen floor. Then this morning a trail of urine across dining room floor. This time urine was red. Took her out...urinated on front steps--red. Urinated on driveway--red. Now she is in bathroom behind a gate.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dulci
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dulcie?
Customer: Taking medication for hypothyroidism. Hind legs collapse often. Has been eating and drinking regularly.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your girl is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Incontinence is not uncommon in senior dogs in fact it is very common, however blood in the urine is not. While it is common to see incontinence it is important that we rule out actual medical causes for this.

Medical causes for incontinence other then age related muscle tone loss could be kidney disease or diabetes.

Blood in the urine can be due to urinary tract infection, urinary crystals, bladder stones or bladder cancer. It can also be signs of bleeding disorders.

I would suggest having her seen by a vet to have the urine tested and possible x rays of the bladder. Depending on what these tests show your vet may also want to do blood work.

If it appears that she is urinating large amounts of blood then it would be best to have her seen today if at all possible. If you are unable to have her seen today then I would get her in as soon as your vet opens in the morning. I would also check her gum color. If the gums are pale pink or white in color this could indicate an active bleed or destruction of the red blood cells and she should be seen right away even if this means going to the ER.

Try to get her to drink as much as possible to help flush the bladder.

I hope this helps give you some direction.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.
Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.
Hi Eve,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Candy