Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My puppy is coughing excessively, intolerant to activity,

Customer Question

My puppy is coughing excessively , intolerant to activity , abdomen distended ; been undergoing treatment for so called generic cough x 2 weeks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Generic?
Customer: I say generic because it is not kennel cough per 2 vets , white blood count over 20 and the puppy 6 months old is getting weaker and weaker ; I have been advised it could be heart related per others ; seen 3 vets in 2 weeks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If your puppy's abdomen is distending due to fluid accumulation (ascites), that ascites concomitant with coughing and exercise intolerance would indicate right-sided heart failure. What have X-rays revealed in the chest and the abdomen of your puppy, please? What has been heard when your puppy's heart was auscultated (listened to)?