PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My maltipoo just got into a tussle with a squirrel. not sure

Customer Question

my maltipoo just got into a tussle with a squirrel. not sure if the squirrel bit him or not. i think she may have bitten the squirrel but i'm not certain. she is scheduled for her yearly shots on monday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: no blood whatsoever, not even sure if any biting occured
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sadie, age 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

There shouldn't be much worried to be had here. If your girl had been bitten by the squirrel, you'd want to keep the wounds clean with antibacterial soap and you could apply neosporin to prevent infection. It's very, very unlikely that a squirrel would be infected with rabies, so her shot status should not be a concern either.

Basically check her over, watch for any wounds that might appear and plan to have her vaccinated Monday. If you do find wounds before then, make sure your vet knows about them. They may want to treat those first before giving her vaccines.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?