Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Blood spotting, 12 years old, Mocha, skin issues but more

Customer Question

blood spotting, 12 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mocha
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mocha?
Customer: skin issues but more concerned with the spotting
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Where is Mocha spotting from? the vulva, the urethra or are you unable to really tell where?

Is she spayed?

If not, when was her last heat cycle?

Is she drinking more?

Is she urinating more than normal?

Any odor to the urine that is abnormal?

Is her urine the normal color?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
spotting from one or the other, cant really tell.
She is spayed
drinking no more than normal
urinating no more than usual
no odor that has been noticed or color
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also want to know why it says a $5.00 charge for information and then charged more than $20 ???

Thanks for the additional information. I am unable to answer financial questions as I am an expert on the site and have no control or knowledge on what they do on the financial side. You can write support at***@******.*** to find out why they did that.

To find out where the spotting might be coming from, you can take a white cloth or tissue and blot the urethra at the top of the vulva first and then the vagina area and see where the blood is coming from. If it is not coming from either of those places then blot the area around the rectum as anal glands are located their.

If it is coming from the urethra, then a urinary tract infection is a good possibility. However, you don't indicate additional symptoms of a UTI. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

If there is bleeding from the vulva then a uterine infection might be a possibility. Sometimes a small amoutn of reproductive tissue is left behind after a spay operation. That small amount of tissue can become infected and lead to bleeding and even discharges of pus. this is called stump pyometra and you can read about this here:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/local_resources/pdfs/repro_pdfs/cestumppyogranu-1.pdf

Now a dog's anal glands can become infected and bleed as a result. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. Dogs with continued anal glands or overfilled anal glands can develop infections in the area which can lead to a discharge of pus or blood from the glands. Keeping the glands emptied regularly can help prevent this but if it is already infected, your vet is the best one to take care of it as he can flush the gland and prescribe antibiotics to treat the infection. Excellent site on anal glands

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2Zm-KwKy4

Of course tumors in these areas can also lead to spotting as well. I would recommend having her seen by your vet as soon as possible since some of these conditions can be life threatening if not treated. Locating the source of the spotting would be the first step in determining the cause though.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Just a quick followup to find out if you answer was helpful to you and if you were able to determine where the blood was coming from.