Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Curious as to whether a decent sized fatty tumor on the

Customer Question

curious as to whether a decent sized fatty tumor on the right side of my dogs middle back (not far from his spine) could be causing pressure on his spine? Reason I ask is in certain lying positions, we twitches while breathing. Best way to describe It is somewhat mimicking gentle hiccups.
He's a 9yo male Weim. Has battled chronic upper respiratory distress for most of his adult life although much of the time he's been fine. Asama-like flare ups every once in a while.
Thoughts on what's causing the twitch?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, a fatty tumor won't compress the spine since the spinal cord is housed within rigid bony vertebrae. Instead, it is possible that it could cause a twitch if it were compressing a muscle or nerve in that region. As well, we could see twitching from any muscle strain or nerve compression within the body. Though if it is more akin to hiccups, its also possible that the weight of the mass (or perhaps an enlarged organ or internal mass) is putting pressure on the diaphragm to cause this.

With this all in mind, if you are seeing this quite a bit with Ryder then consider videoing what he is doing so that you can show your vet. If they can see these odd twitches while examining him, they can narrow down the cause. If it is nerve/muscle related there are muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories that could be tried to counter this. Though if anything internal is found then an xray or ultrasound may be ideal to get to the root of that for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Todd,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ryder. How is everything going?

nekovet