Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Sorry to bother you - my Stella jumped on the table and ate

Customer Question

Hi Doc
Sorry to bother you - my Stella jumped on the table and ate about 1/3 dark chocolate brownie - she must not have liked it thank god - she is only 7.5 lbs and I know dark chocolate is toxic for dogs. Should I be worried ? Or do anything ?
Maurice
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she get this?

Can you give me an estimate of how many ounces or grams this brownie was (as they can vary in size)?

How is she just now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
About 30 min ago - the brownie is 2 1/4 oz now after she ate a little less than 1/3 - we went to park prior - she is resting seems fine - 7 yr old Beautiful Havanese
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now with brownies, they do tend to only have a small amount of chocolate compared to other ingredients. That said, they tend to use potent toxic chocolates like cocoa powder and baking chocolate. Therefore, there is a risk that even this small portion could cause at least gut upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) in the next 4 hours. Though it is less likely we'd see more severe signs (changes to the breathing/heart rates, tremors or seizures).

With this in mind and since Stella just had this, we have a few options. First, we can err on the side of caution and induce vomiting just now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Afterwards or instead if you do just want to monitor, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, brownies can be tricky when our dogs eat them. Often they have less chocolate but a dark chocolate one in a small dog like Stella makes me wary that we could see gut upset with this. Therefore, we can monitor and try to offset that or use the first 2 options to get this out of her system or limit its chance of effects for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My vet had called me back as well in the meantime - I will monitor her for now she seems ok and she didn't eat too much - thanks for responding g
Maurice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, Maurice.

I am glad they don't feel she had that much and are fine to have you monitor her.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet