Jennifer Van Noy
Jennifer Van Noy,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Riverside Animal Hospital

I'm pretty sure my dog ate something out of a couch cushion.

Customer Question

I'm pretty sure my dog ate something out of a couch cushion. And he can not hold any food down. Everything he eats he vomits backup
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Duke and he is about 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jennifer Van Noy replied 3 months ago.

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Duke.

I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you’re satisfied with the information I’ve provided. I’ll do my best to earn your good rating, because that’s the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

• How long ago did Duke eat the cushion and start vomiting?
  • How many times has he vomited?
  • What is he vomiting up at this point?

In order to help me help you better, I’ll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure when he ate part of cushion, but he's been vomiting for 5 days now. He is vomiting mostly undigested dogfood. I made him some rice and cut up plain chicken breast and he threw that up. Whatever he eats he throws it up about 12 hours after he eats
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there something we can give him to help flush it out
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you going to answer back
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, sometimes I don't get fast notification. Typing more now.

If he's been vomiting for 5 days and not improving, he needs immediate medical intervention! Unfortunately, I've seen multiple different foreign bodies from dogs that have ingested couch cushions, as well as a bunch of other things. The ones I've personally seen that have ingested cushion -- the cushion stuff tends to expand with the water and stomach acid, often causing an obstruction. Typically, these individuals need surgery to get the stuffing out. It is also possible something else is going on with Duke, if he only chewed up the cushion and didn't ingest any of it. The place to start would be a full physical examination. Your vet will likely want to run some blood work (CBC, Chemistry panel, maybe a pancreatitis test, or lactate level), abdominal x-rays, and possibly other tests. If he hasn't been abel to keep anything down for 5 days, he is likely also dehydrated and with the vomiting, his electrolytes may be out of balance. I recommend you phone your vet and have Duke seen on an emergency basis.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I’ve provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you’ve rated my response. I’ll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I’ve provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I’ve done my best to provide you the most accurate, thorough, and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jennifer Van Noy