Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

15 yr old female in heat let out to pee and yard was checked

Customer Question

15 yr old female in heat let out to pee and yard was checked no other dog but her sister was with her..had to go in the house for less than two minutes and she was at the door to come back in acting normal..neither her or her sister barked at this time and they don't like other dogs. Sister is fixed...Hubby left 15 minutes later saw strange dog leaving yard..could she have gotten pregnant in that short of time..2 1/2 weeks into heat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She has arthritis and takes aspirin and glucosamine as well as skin allergy with benadryl
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, even if they do not usually like other dogs in their yard, we do see them being more tolerant during the heat cycle. (and if she is dominant, then her sister would likely follow her lead). Furthermore, while some dogs can be tied post mating for hours, we can see others mate quickly (even within 15 minutes) without a tie. Therefore, if the dog was male and unneutered, then pregnancy is a concern even though elderly dogs don't tend to be as fertile and the lack of tie may reduce the success of the mating.

In this case, we have a few options. You could have her to her vet to discuss options for preventing pregnancy (some have access to injectable medications for this or spaying would remove the pregnancy). Otherwise, you could have a discussion about testing (via bloods, ultrasound, etc) over the next few weeks to determine if she is pregnant. Or if you do just want to monitor, its usually around 5 weeks we see mammary development and will have the first hints if she has been impregnated. But if the dog was male and not neutered, then this would be a risk even that quickly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )