Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

A few days ago my little dog got into it with our larger

Customer Question

A few days ago my little dog got into it with our larger dog. It resulted in the big dog picking up and shaking the little one. Resulting in a tear of the skin by the shoulder blade. It didn't bleed. I cleaned the wound and added some glue and closed the up with the exception of a small spot for any drainage. I've kept it clean and put antibacterial cream on it. He's been 110% himself. I see no signs of pus or infection. However later tknight3 days after the fight he started peeing blood. We are out in the country nothing is around. I pushed on his stomach and there is no sign of pain in t
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: There is no sign of pain in his tummy or bloating
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Only when he pees it looks like straight red blood
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: And no he is peeing normal has an appitite and is drinking. You wouldn't know anything is wrong. His gums are pink and normal too
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on the signs you are seeing and provided we can rule out toxicities (ie rat bait, aspirin), this is likely indirectly related to the recent fight. As it has come on a few days later (making stones, urine crystals, bladder tumors, and even trauma less likely), we'd be most suspicious of a secondary opportunistic bladder infection taking advantage of the immune system's diverted attention.

In situations like this, we do tend to need to have their local vet start antibiotics (+/- dog safe anti-inflammatories to help with general discomfort/inflammation of both this and the wound) to just nip this in the bud. Any delay in having him seen and we'd want to focus on getting more fluids into him (ie offering water, low salt chicken broth, canned food) to dilute the urine and flush out the bacteria. As well, if he is sore or straining with this, aloe vera berry juice from your local health food store can be given to help normalize urine pH and reduce any "burning" sensation when he passes urine. And these can reduce the risk of kidney spread until antibiotics can be initiated to settle this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok this morning his pee is normal. He is still drinking and eating normal. He did however strain to poop out just a narrow 2 inch poop.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is still acting 100% normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear it was normal today, but do keep an eye that we don't see any more blood. Otherwise, if he is straining to pass stool you can try adding canned pumpkin to his food to help his fecal regularity and even give a few doses of cat hairball treatment to help it lass more easily. Of course, with his recent trauma we'd want to monitor this as well just in case he has any internal injuries that we've not appreciated from the attack.

Best regards,

Dr. B