Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog’s nose is dry and bleeds from one side. What could be wrong?

Customer Question

My dog, Alpha, is a 3-year old German Shepherd. Her nose is tremendously dry, it looks cracked and every now and then bleeds from one side. It is sensitive to the touch. And on top of that, she has a discharge on both of her eyes. I have to clean them 4-5 times a day or a huge crust forms around her right eye. She lost her appetite since Monday. Doesn't touch her dry food but she would definitely show down on sausages
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Alpha's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing. Important differential diagnoses include autoimmune skin disease and diseases of the eyes causing a lack of tear production which is then drying out her nose resulting in a hyperkeratosis - drying and thickening of the black layer of her nose which then can fissure and bleed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is the best picture I could take from her.

Thank you. Her muzzle is quite swollen and I see the ulcerated and purulent (pusy) discharge in her nostrils. I can't evaluate her eyes in this photo but they appear quiet. Autoimmune skin disease is an important differential diagnosis in such a dog; in particular, a rare condition called mucous membrane pemphigoid which can affect those areas of her nose as well as the periocular skin as you've mentioned. Please have Alpha's vet take a look at her at your earliest convenience. Feel free to share our conversation with her vet.

I have to leave my computer for the night but promise to reply in the morning if need be.