Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

An onset of watery diarrhea. Stool was normal yesterday

Customer Question

an onset of watery diarrhea. Stool was normal yesterday morning, both solid and soft yesterday evening and watery late morning and afternoon today. We went for a walk this morning - is it because of the heat? She did a lot of sniffing outside. Maybe she was exposed to something?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound on her paws.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: zeffie, 1 yr, 1 mo.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about zeffie?
Customer: maybe it was a food change. She ingested part of a pig ear the day before yesterday. Maybe that was it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B a licensed veterinarian and would like to help you today.

Was the pig ear something she had had before?

What color is the diarrhea? Any blood?

Any appetite loss or nausea?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back but do want to leave my thoughts for your return. To start, we can see heat cause stress induced diarrhea, but more often we will see this due tobacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). So we need to tread with care.

With this in mind, to start, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea You can even add fiber (canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to bulk up her stool quicker.. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Furthermore, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. And while stress can play a role its not likely to be working along here. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with antibiotics and further anti-diarrheal treatments to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )