PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My small dog ate a 50mg Xanax. What can I do?

Customer Question

I have a small dog that is 4.5 pounds and I think she ate a 50mg Xanax. She is acting very nervous. She keeps licking her lips and she is scared of everything. Her name is Pomegranate; she is Pomeranian & Chihuahua mix.
Is there something I can do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long ago would this have been consumed?
2) Have you witnessed any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
About 2 hours ago.
No vomiting or diarrhea.

Pomegranate has consumed a very, very high dosage of xanax for a dog her size. The high end dosage for a dog her size is 0.1mg and she's had up to 500 times that amount.

We have roughly 2 hours to induce vomiting for dogs and we're outside of that window which means that she needs to go to the ER to have this done. Although you aren't sure if she ingested this medication, it's very possible that she did with her behavior. Agitation and nervousness are observed in at least a quarter of the dogs who ingest an overdose of Xanax. The veterinary hospital will likely want to attempt to induce vomiting anyhow and then may wind up giving medications and supportive care to her overnight until her symptoms begin to reside.

If you choose not to do this, make sure to keep her in a quiet area this evening and monitor her closely. We can see that dogs suffer low blood pressure, cardiac arrest and respiratory depression with this high of a dose as well.

Please let me know if I can help further.