Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a female pit who is just under a year old. She is a

Customer Question

Hi. I have a female pit bull who is just under a year old. She is a little ball of energy and always has been. We love exploring new places including rivers, ponds, swamps, forests etc. It's now summer here and she has finally started swimming! She has always had allergies but was never tested. She has broken our in hives all over her body several times since I got her. Out vet has never gave me anything for them just said they would go away, and they always did. She went swimming in a swamp that we've never been to yesterday and today she has little pimple looking bimbos on her belly chest and thighs. It doesn't seem to be under her fur on other places . She has all her shots and isn't itchy but I'm concerned I don't want waste money going to vet again if it's the same kind of reaction because I know she has sensitivities. If anyone can help! ! A vets advice would be preference but all recommendations are welcome! Thanks from me and lala :)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It could well be an allergic reaction. Pit bulls on a whole tend to have problems with allergies so it isn't a surprise that she tend to have incidents. What I would do is give her a little benadryl and see if that doesn't take care of the problem. Benadryl can be given at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours.

The problem with allergies is that they can cause rashes which in turn causes itchiness and the scratching can lead to an even lowered immune system which can allow the staph and yeast normally present on the skin to multiply unchecked which would then be a yeast or staph dermatitis. Those can cause itching as well. A staph dermatitis also tends to resemble a rash as well.

You can read more on allergies here:

: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

If this was my girl, I'd give her the appropriate dosage of benadryl and see if you don't notice some improvement. Now if her rashes usually go away after a day or so, you might not know for sure if is the medication helping, but if you give the medication and do not see improvement, you would want to have her seen and check for a staph dermatitis

This doctor has a different approach for minor skin dermatitis that you might find helpful.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/10/04/treating-your-pets-skin-infection.aspx

I would continue to use the shampoo but remember that too frequent bathing can remove the natural oils on a dogs skin and coat as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Natasha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lala. How is everything going?