How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 14585
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It appears that my dogs ate some raisins within the last 8

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Craig. It appears that my dogs ate some raisins within the last 8 hours. They are both beagles. Neither of them are showing any signs that go along with a toxic ingestion of raisins. It looks like it might have been about 6 oz that were in the box.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your beagle ate?
Customer: There was an empty box of Sun Maid raisins. My wife said there was about 6 oz left in the box. They ate them while we were at work. Had to have been within the last 8 hours.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your beagle?
Customer: No medical conditions for either of them
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear that your pups got into some raisins, about 6 ounces in total.

The toxic dose of raisins in dogs is estimated to be about 0.1 ounce per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight. For reference the small boxes of raisins that we put in kid's lunches are about an ounce. That means one of those small boxes would be toxic for a 20 pound dog. And 6 ounces would be toxic for a 60 kilogram (132 pound) dog.

The problem with raisin toxicity is that by the time we see symptoms the damage is done. There isn't any true antidote, only supportive measures. In cases where we aren't sure how many were eaten by which dog, especially in a small dog that just ate them, I do recommend inducing vomiting with 3 % hydrogen peroxide.

If they may have eaten them within the last 2-3 hours, you want to try to induce vomiting if you have 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Give 1 tablespoon of 3% peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight orally. You can give it directly or mix it with a small amount of food or bread chunks.

Take them outside and run them around and they should vomit.

If they don't vomit in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

Signs of toxicity usually start 6 to 12 hours after ingestion. The initial symptoms are vomiting and diarrhea. If you do notice those, I would have them checked immediately.

If they have each eaten a sufficient quantity I would be concerned about kidney damage, but I would expect gastrointestinal symptoms first.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related Dog Questions