Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I have a litter of six sheltie pups that will be two weeks

Customer Question

I have a litter of six sheltie pups that will be two weeks old in two days. Gaining weight good. Delivered by c section due to bitches lack of uterine inertia. She finished 10 days of clavamox several days ago. Puppy's starting to have soft yellow stool...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dam is Finley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dam?
Customer: Feeding what she will eat dry kibble and soft puppy canned food, cottage cheese, and yogurt, scrambled eggs... Not all at once but offering her variety...also giving her oxy momma supplement once daily from Revival pet supply to help milk production. I have fortiflora probiotics...if I put that on her food, will it cross over to help pups
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still waiting
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Somethings cross into the milk but probiotics generally help the dogs gastrointestinal health and digestion which in turn help her produce healthy milk with the proper good bacteria the pups need. THey usually get their immunity from the dam's milk in the first 24 hours. You will be starting to wean the pups at about 3 weeks of age. You could add a little probiotics to their food at that time if you wanted. That will be a more important period in their lives as they transition onto solid food. Generally feeding a good high quality puppy food is enough for a mother to provide the proper nutritional requirements for her pup. Now the fecal matter of puppies is generally a soft yellowish color to begin with. You usually don't notice it earlier because mom is keeping it cleaned up. So the color alone I wouldn't be too worried about. In addition, the foods you feed can affect the taste of the milke and might lead to some changes in the stool as well. While it may help keep her having a variety, you might want to stick to one diet until they are weaned.

What you do want to look for though is the possibility of herpes. Herpes can be a problem in pups younger than 3 weeks aga. Pups infected with the herpes virus often display a yellow green feces but also tend to cry persistently, have weakness, not much of an appetite, possible bruising on the stomach or pain in the abdomen and even a nasal discharge. If you are not seeing any of those signs, I wouldn't worry too much about the color of the fecal matter.

You do want to start deworming around 2 weeks of age. Your vet can give you their choice of dewormer. You will be deworming mom and pups at the same time. I recommend deworming every 2 weeks until all worms are gone or the pups go to new homes. This allows you to catch any hatching worms before they mature into adults and reproduce.

I'd be ready to deworm and for weaning the pups in the next week or so and monitor the pups for additional symptoms. Here is a site that discusses weaning. I do want to mention that it can take a couple of hours for puppy food to puff up and be suitable to feed to pups.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I wanted to check in with you and see how the pups are doing. You should be starting the weaning process in the next couple of days and see some more changes in the consistency of their feces especially since mom will likely stop cleaning up after them once they are on puppy food. Make the change over slowly and just gradually cut back on the amount of fluid in the food over the course of a couple of weeks. The pups will have a better chance of not becoming constipated if you do it that way. Often they will have a day or two where the feces is harder than normal and it may take a day or so for them to defecate. If this happens, let me know and I'll give you some tips to get the fecal matter moving.

I hope you found my answer helpful.