Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Diabetic. Can no longer get Vetsulin and want to switch to

Customer Question

Diabetic. Can no longer get Vetsulin and want to switch to Novolin N. He is currently receiving 11 IU BID of Vetsulin. What's the Novolin equivalent?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Fritz
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fritz?
Customer: He has had seizures in the past, but has been controlled with Phenobarb.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that Fritz is diabetic.

I would not switch unless you have to. We can still get Vetsulin, and it is available:

If you switch to Novolin, you will have to start over regulating him. He may or may not do well on it. If you switch, I need to know his weight to recommend a dose, but basically I would start at a lower dose than the 11 U you are giving, and then do a blood sugar reading a few days after starting it to decide whether to lower or raise the dose.

Let me know if this helps, and what other questions you have.