Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Good mornig. I'm painfully waiting Vet's office to open in

Customer Question

Good mornig. I'm painfully waiting for my Vet's office to open in 2hrs. I have a 12yr old chihuahua who is in active heart failure but, all things considered, has done Very Well. Unfortunately. last Friday He slipped a knee (Right Rear). He was as put on Metacam for 5 days. After 3 days, he stopped eating. I had been giving him a precautionary dose of pepcid with the metacam but, if I remember correctly, he has a sensitive tummy. So, after the 3rd dose of metacam, I discontinued. Simultaneously, I noticed his breathing became more shallow/rapid. He continued to drink regularly at first...However, no eating 24hrs and now, Very Little drinking last 18hrs (if any). He is making a whimper sound as he exhales (breathing very quickly and shallowly) I had opened to hit him with an extra dose at 0330 this morning and a dosage of tramadol (just in case he was in pain). He seemed to calm down a bit about 0415, we both fell asleep and, then, back at it (rapid breathing and squeaking occasionally on the exhale). He seem's agitated as well. His regular dose of meds are as follows: Fursoemdie Oral Solution 10mg/ml (Give .3ml by mouth every 12hrs), Benazepril Suspension 2.5mg/mg (Give 04ml by mouth every 12hrs) and Vetmedin (I believe that's a generic - 1.25MG Chew - Takes 1/2 Tablet every 12 hrs).... Might there be anything you can suggest to get me and him thru the next 12 hrs more comfortably....????
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Archie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Archie?
Customer: Just that he he's goty a stage 4 heart murmur and rated in current heart failure for the past 2yrs nearly.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I read somewhere of giving him bennadryl at a 1mg/lb to perhaps call him..... Might that be something I should consider? Or, hit hi with more of the Benazepril? The earlier statement on that was a type-o. It should have read, "I opted to hit him with an extra dose at 0330......Now 90 mins away from a Vet Visit
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. With the breathing issues, it would probably help more to give him another dose of furosemide. That medication can be adjusted better to control clinical signs, assuming we are dealing with fluid buildup in the lungs. It will work faster and provide more help than benazepril if that is the case. Even if the it is more of a functional issue with the heart, increasing the benazepril at this time probably wouldn't help. Tramadol can be given every 8 hours if necessary. That will probably help calm him down more than Benadryl. Plus, I try to avoid Benadryl with dogs with heart problems. Antihistamines can have an effect on the heart. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John