How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 23850
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Currently monitoring my roommate’s 11 pound dachshund who

Customer Question

Currently monitoring my roommate’s 11 pound dachshund who ate half of a 4 ounce bottle of Ferretvite 8 in 1 vitamin supplement. She was at my roommate’s boyfriend’s house unattended so we don’t know when she ate it but we are thinking that it happened about 5 hours ago. She seems to be acting normal, just very bloated and kind of lethargic. I am worried about the toll this taking on her little liver. What are signs to look for that this is becoming an emergency?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is some information on the ferret vitamin supplement:Ingredients
Malt Syrup, Corn Oil, Mono And Diglycerides, Water, Maltodextrin, Lecithin, Molasses, Taurine, Ascorbic Acid (Source Of Vitamin C), Dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Source Of Vitamin E), Cod Liver Oil, Sorbic Acid And Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Ferrous Gluconate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Potassium Iodide, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Mannitol, Cholecalciferol (Source Of Vitamin D3), Vitamin B12 SupplementGuaranteed Analysis
Min. per ounce: metabolizable energy 90 KCAL, manganese 0.018%, magnesium 0.007%, iron 0.009%, iodine 0.003%, vitamin A 1700 i.u., vitamin D 130 i.u.,
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. None of the ingredients in that product are toxic to a dog even if ingested in excess. There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Shalosha may experience transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea from ingesting so much of an unfamiliar "food" but she wasn't intoxicated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I have to leave my computer for the night but promise to reply in the morning if need be.

Related Dog Questions