Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

She has chewed the hair at the baseof her tail completely

Customer Question

She has chewed the hair at the baseof her tail completely off, no signs of mites, fleas, ticks, not itching or chewing any other areas. It is raw and sore from chewing. We have put a cone on. No signs of infection
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Haven't used any med for fleas. Josie about 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

hello and thank you for using this site to help you. It sounds like an allergy to flea saliva. This does not mean a dog has to be littered with fleas, it can mean a flea has hopped on. bit the dog and hopped off and it will cause a whole reaction which can take months to get over.

That would be the first scenario. The second would be some type of fungal , yeast or bacterial infection affecting the area which can only be determined through a skin scraping at the vet office. Each requires different treatment. One may require oral antibiotics while another would require bathing in a special anti fungal shampoo.

It is best to keep the cone on the dog to prevent any chewing, keep the area clean and wash the area daily with an antibacterial soap. If there is no improvement then you want to have a skin scraping done as you will have an answer before you leave the vet office and treatment can begin.

Here is more on flea allergy dermatitis http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/skin/flea-allergy-dermatitis-in-dogs

If you google flea allergy dermatitis under images you will see pictures of the hair loss on dogs.

Skin scraping and information http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/tests-procedures/skin-scraping-in-dogs