Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My labrador had diarrhea so was on rice and chicken, as soon

Customer Question

My labrador had diarrhea so was on rice and chicken, as soon as he went back to his normal food he vomits yellow bile about 3hrs after he's eaten, he's hungry and fit in himself
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Benji 11years and 5months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benji?
Customer: No, he's a fit dog, goes walks, plays etc
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. First,there are many things that can cause diarrhea and vomiting especially in an older dog. You need to take your dog to your vet and have a CBC, chem panel, urinalysis and T4 done. Also should do a 4DX test. If all this is normal then you have at least ruled out metabolic disease and kidney issues. Then I would also recommend that you have some abdominal xrays done due to your dogs age to try and rule out at least any overt cancer. If these are normal then a food trial with a highly digestible diet like science diet prescription diet Intestinal diet would be appropriate. Your vet could also add some pepcid AC to this diet........if this does not improve your dog then an abdominal ultrasound should be done. I hope this helps you. Let me know if you need additional help.

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!

Please note that the information I provide is intended as general information only and not intended to replace the advice of your veterinary professional

Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His diarrhea is OK now, he went to vets for that, he had tests etc and it was an infection so had antibiotics, he had rice and chicken it's when he went back on normal food he started to be sick but nothing else. He's fit in him self and walks 4 times a day. He's like a 7 year old.
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Then I would go for a food trial as I have designated above. Many dogs develop food intolerance and can only eat very highly digestible foods. Try the Science diet Prescription diet Intestinal diet. Your vet can get this food for you and likely already has it in stock. This usually works very well and will prevent GI intolerance.But remember if this does not work then you need to have the other diagnostics I have listed because vomiting is a non specific sign of a problem. I hope this helps but let me know if you need additional help.

Sincerely, DRB

Sincerely, DRB