Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 10 year old male Shit zip is having shallow breathing

Customer Question

My 10 year old male Shit zip is having shallow breathing without exertion
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He's breathing is shallow without exertion. Just started about an hour ago. Our climate and room temperature is mild today.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chip. He is 10 years and 4 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chip?
Customer: He did have a sneezing spell about a week ago. He does from time to time have difficulty breathing. The last episode was a week ago. These episodes are not frequent
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Please assess Chip's respiratory rate while he's asleep or at rest. If he's taking over 30 breaths per minute, he's likely to be in trouble. Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
56 breaths per minute
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His respiration is 56 times per minute while at rest

Chip will end up hyperthermic and exhausted at that rate. It would be prudnet having an on-call vet perform a thorough physical exam including chest films on Chip. Advanced cardiopulmonary diseases such as congestive heart failure and chronic sterile bronchitis are important differential diagnoses in these dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for this advice. I'm taking him in today.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that he'll be attended to shortly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.