PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Researching if amputation is always necessary after a tail

Customer Question

Researching if amputation is always necessary after a tail caught in car door
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cooper 1 year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?
Customer: no he is not in any pain I have been keeping it bandaged and applying Neosporin. I took him to the vet because I go back to work tomorrow and wanted to make sure it would be okay. Vet said it is not infected and the wound looks good but a small bit of bone is exposed and she said it needs to be amputated because the hair will never grow back
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Amputation is most often recommended after a solid break has been sustained as the distal end of the tail will become necrotic, die, may become infected and require an ever more advanced surgery to debride the area which may require amputation further up the tail (or complete tail amputation).

Have any x-rays been taken of the tail? Any pictures to share?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No they did not take x rays. Vet said the wound looked good, still fresh...happened Thursday evening and I have been wrapping it and applying Neosporin,,, Vet said to watch it for a couple weeks to think about if I wanted to amputate.... but he seems fine other than irritated that it is wrapped

He's likely waiting to see if it heals on its own or if it becomes necrotic. Sometimes the tail will heal itself. It all depends on how severe the injury was. If it does heal, amputation may not be needed. But if the tail end dies, yes, it will likely need to be amputated.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what are signs that it has died, and will the small tip of bone that is exposed fall off if it dies?

That's certainly one of them. Keep an eye out for a rancid smell, the presence of pus, a blue/purple/black color to the skin, for the distal end to fall off completely, for him to begin chewing at the end of the tail, etc.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?