Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

She is 7 weeks old and has an umbilcal hernia, was wondering

Customer Question

she is 7 weeks old and has an umbilcal hernia, was wondering what the cost would be if she has it repaired when she gets spayed
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: did you see my question
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she doesn't hurt, she is very active
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Harper Lee
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harper Lee?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Pricing for what you are asking varys widely from not only state to state but also from vet to vet. I've seen some vets charge as little as $15 more and some higher priced vets as much as $100 or more. Your best bet on determining what the additional costs would be is to call a few vets in the area and ask them what the additional charges would be if reparied during the spay procedure.

If going to a low cost spay program, then call the program admistrator and ensure they are set up to do the repair at the same time. Some programs will do the repair and others are not set up to do it, so check in advance. It really is best to have it done with spaying to avoid not only more expensive surgical costs but also to avoid having the pup put under anesthesia more often.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Just checking in to see if you got in touch with any local vets to get an estimate from one in your particular area. I hope the information I supplied was helpful.