Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 5 month old puppy is displaying signs of a UTI, He is

Customer Question

My 5 month old puppy is displaying signs of a UTI
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He is trying to urinate but nothing is coming out
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he doesn't look like he's in pain
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nino
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nino?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, Nino first displayed signs on Friday night, we took him to an emergency vet who wanted a urine sample, and gave us anti inflammatiroies and pain killers. He wouldn't take them, in fact he vomited them up straight away. He went to sleep fine and the next day he was perfectly normal. Now, 2 days later he's displaying the same symptoms again. He doesn't seem to want water either. I've syringed some water into his mouth just so he's getting something. I've been able to give him the anti inflammatory just now but he won't take the pain killer at all. I will try and go to the vet ASAP tomrrow morning. Is there anything else I can do? He's sleeping now which is probably down to the anti inflammatory, i just want to make sure he will be ok until the morning. Or understand what may have caused this so I can prevent it happening again in the future. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 9 months ago.

Im sorry your puppy is in distress. I hope I can help. The first thing I think of when a male dog cannot urinate is either an obstruction (as they are more prone than females to this problem), an infection, or bladder inflammation and irritation. It may be that he is unable to urinate because something is physically stopping him from doing so or it may be that his bladder is empty but he has the sensation of needing to urinate due to inflammation. An empty bladder is not a problem but a bladder obstruction is a big problem and can be life threatening. For this reason, the best suggestion I can make is to see a veterinarian and make sure he is not blocked. If he is then the obstruction has to be relieved with a catheter and the underlying cause addressed. Some dogs are prone to forming bladder stones which can block them or cause irritation so what breed is he? is he healthy otherwise? what testing was done at the vet when you took him in?