Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My daughter gave our Maltese a haircut and today s left eye

Customer Question

My daughter gave our Maltese a haircut and today his left eye is swollen almost shut
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Codie he's 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Codie?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Codie. If a shampoo were included in the grooming, I would expect to find a chemical abrasion of his cornea. If a shampoo weren't included, his cornea may have been abraded by your daughter's scissors. Finally, there's always the possiblity of his grooming being a red herring. There might be a foxtail in that eye hidden beneath one of his eyelids. This is what foxtails look like:

In any event, that eye needs to be attended to at your earliest convenience. It does warrant a visit to a veterinary ER.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you feel I need to take him to an emergency clinic tonight? I couldn't see anything in his eye but it's swollen and he really won't let me touch it for to long.

I do, yes, if only because eyes can "go south" in a hurry. For example, a deep corneal ulcer can perforate which risks loss of the eye. Please note that Codie is quite painful at this time which can be ameliorated by both a prescription topical and systemic nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?