Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog ate a jar of shea butter that I think has coco

Customer Question

My dog ate a jar of shea butter that I think has coco butter
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy 3yrs old boxer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: no I just want to know if it I toxic
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Shea butter is not toxic and is often used in topical products for pets. This is also something that we see dogs eat pretty often.

In large amounts this can cause gastroenteritis so you want to watch for vomiting that seems excessive, vomiting blood or loss of appetite for more then 24 hours.

Diarrhea is to be expected so do not panic if that happens.

To help settle her stomach you can try Pepcid AC at a dose of 0.25mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. You may also want to feed her a bland diet for the next 48 hours. This can consist of boiled hamburger or chicken with boiled rice or sweet potato.

If she ate any of the container itself please let me know how much and what type of material it was. If she only ate the Shea butter then in a large dog I would expect some digestive upset but not much else.

I hope this helps to ease your mind. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.

Candy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I read the ingredients and it has some cocoa butter in it too
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Most Shea butter does and while actual chocolate can be toxic Cocoa butter it self contains almost no Theobromine which is the toxic component in chocolate. This would not pose any greater risk.

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Candy
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I just wanted to check in and see how Lucy was doing?