Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a 1 year, 9 month GSD.. She just ate 3 lbs of raw

Customer Question

I have a 1 year, 9 month GSD.. She just ate 3 lbs of raw hamburger meat. Should i give her Imodium before bed?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Condesa
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Contessa?
Customer: SHe has had diarreah in the crate in the middle of the night before.. Aside from that, she is a very healthy, smart puppy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

If you have used Imodium in the past and he has not had any problems then yes you can give him a dose to try and help prevent any diarrhea. If you have never given this then I would try Pepto Bismol. While this medication is normally safe some GSD's can have what is called MDR1 gene mutation and if so this medication can cause sedation or other side effects. Here is a link to the dosing information Link

Pepto will also help prevent diarrhea and also helps with any stomach upset that may occur from eating this much meat. This is dosed at 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours.

If by some chance this meat was old then we would have to worry about bacterial infections. Finally it is important to know that eating large amounts of raw food can also in some cases result in pancreatitis so if he has vomiting that seems excessive, stops eating for more then 24 hours or seems painful in the abdomen then he should be seen by a vet.

I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I would be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.
Candy