PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My great dane just finished going through heat and now I

Customer Question

My great dane just finished going through heat and now I just noticed she has acne looking bumps around her vulva and one is an open wound. She is constantly licking it and she has been restless recently and i don't know if she is uncomfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: She isn't bleeding anymore she stopped bleeding over two weeks ago now it's just acne looking bumps around her vulva
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nyla and 1yr and 7 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nyla?
Customer: She still has acne around her face that goes away and comes back we have given her different medicine from the vet but it still comes back
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Can you attach a picture of these bumps, please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I attached it

These definitely look like small abscesses, poor girl.

Because she's licking, I would recommend putting her in an e-collar to keep her from causing more issues. If you don't have one, you can make one at home. Here's how:

I would also recommend cleaning this area with hibiclens (available at walmart) or antibacterial soap 2 times daily to reduce the bacteria in this area. And after it's dry, apply neosporin.

It would be wise to place her on some antibiotics after your vet opens on Monday. These are bound to be painful. Something like neopredef powder may also be indicated to reduce the amount of discomfort she feels in this area, thus reducing her desire to lick.

Keep an eye out for signs of UTI such as accidents in the house, urinating small amounts in different areas, blood in the urine, etc. Sometimes we see this following a dog persistently licking the vulva.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?