Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Max had an altercation with a raccoon on Tuesday. Just minor

Customer Question

Max had an altercation with a raccoon on Tuesday. Just minor scratches on face. Took him to Vet who said he was okay, just but antiobiotic cream on lacerations. He's current on his vaccinations and we're pretty sure the raccoon wasn't rabid. But as of yesterday, he no longer wants to eat and is just laying around. I'm very concerned. He's 10 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How do the scratches look today?

When had he had his last rabies vaccine?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Will he eat if you offer him something special like cheese or a hot dog?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know the exact month for rabies but it was this year 2016. No vomiting or diarrhea. I gave him some chicken & rice yesterday and he did eat that. That was all he ate yesterday and he hasn't eaten today at all. Bowel movement today looked okay. But he is listless, not wagging his tail and that's unusual. I'm worried that possible something like a parasite or something been passed to him thru the scratch. There were only a couple of places - a small scratch and one about 3/8".
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Scratches look fine - doesn't appear to have any infection.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's unlikely to be a parasite....especially since it's only been less than a week since he got into it with the raccoon.

My guess is that there could be an underlying infection brewing that simply hasn't presented itself yet. If he was willing to eat the chicken and rice yesterday, you could offer that again today and see if he'll eat it. Since he's lethargic, you could try rubbing a little honey or maple syrup on his gums. Sometimes that little bump of sugar will give them enough energy to make them want to eat something.

If he's still lethargic tomorrow, or if he starts doing vomiting or having diarrhea, then you should have him seen by a vet in your area. If you're not sure where one is that may be open on Sunday, you can go to: ***** ***** plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

Hopefully this isn't anything more than him just having a down day, but monitoring him will give us a chance to get ahead of it.

I hope this helps.