Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

He ate half a tampon and now I think he is constipated. Nose

Customer Question

He ate half a tampon and now I think he is constipated. Nose is cold and wet still drinking water but yelps when he has to go to the bathroom, and is unable to go.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Little Bear and he is 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Little Bear?
Customer: He is a mini pin
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

When did he eat the tampon?

Has there been any lack of interest in food or has there been any vomiting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He ate it two days ago just half, and no he ate last night as well as today. No vomiting, but he is panting and has a hard time jumping.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is a miniature pin
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

thank you for that information. It may be stuck in the intestinal tract in which case you would need an x ray to be sure. The fact that you are saying he is having a hard time jumping and it hurts for him to be in the position to go to the bathroom may be indicative of a disc problem not the fact that he ate the tampon.

What I would do as long as there is eating and no vomiting diarrhea etc is give some pure canned pumpkin to help the tampon pass. About two tablespoons in the am and pm

I would also try an anti inflammatory drug like aspirin with complete be crate rest. Only give this if he is not on any other NSAID from the vet such as Rimadyl. If it is a disc issue then the aspirin and strict rest should help.

Here is dosing for aspirin. http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

here is more on disc issues

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/brain-spinal-cord-nerves/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd---thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.