Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have an 11 year old mastiff, the last few months he has

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old mastiff, the last few months he has been up restless and panting very loudly just about every night. he wont listen which is very unusual for him. we have been giving him an aspirin every day but now have changed to night time due to him sleeping most of the day and up at night. He is going bling and has allergies.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zues
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zues?
Customer: We feed him a special food due to his allergies. He also has skin tag and has one on his eye but it does not seem to bother him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

It sounds like you may be having some neurologic issues. This could just be aging changes in the brain or it could be a condition called cognitive dysfunction (dog dementia) or even a brain tumor. We often times see changes in sleep cycles, changes in behavior and restlessness.

There is a medication called Anipryl that can help with these dementia signs. We can also use Melatonin to help with normalizing sleep cycles.

For any pain, I would go with a veterinary anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl or Metacam. If you want to use Aspirin, make sure you're using the correct dose. The dose in dogs is 5 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours.

I don't think there's a cure here, but there are things to help make him more comfortable during this period in his life.