Dr. M. Brink
Dr. M. Brink, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and BSc (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)
94581128

My female german shorthaired pointer cries when she. MAPLE

Customer Question

My female german shorthaired pointer cries when she poops.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: MAPLE SUGAR..2 YEARS OLD
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: NOTES; no dragging,medium soft stools,no blood,no diarrhea,no mucus,
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. M. Brink replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Brink! I will do my best to give you some information about what could be causing Maple Sugar to have pain when she defecates.

It's great to know that her stool is normal looking as that helps to rule out a number of issues! So, you may know this already, but dogs have anal glands that are full of a thick liquidy material just inside the external rectal sphincter. Sometimes if those become infected, too full, or impacted they can cause pain when pets try to defecate. To check for this, your local veterinarian will likely need to do a rectal exam. At the same time, they will likely palpate for any abnormalities in the colon that could be causing pain.

If the anal glands are discovered to be the cause, sometimes medication is necessary for pain or infection or both. Some patients also end up needing a hypoallergenic diet or a diet with very carefully balanced fiber levels in order to encourage the anal glands to empty and not become inflamed, but that will be based on what the rectal exam shows.

The other thing that I think about when hearing of patients like your dog, is back pain. If they have some soft tissue trauma or a back issue then assuming the posture to defecate can be very painful and they will have symptoms like what you are describing.

I hope that this makes sense to you! If you have any further follow up questions, feel free to ask me, or to update me once you have had her examined by your local veterinarian. If I have answered all your questions for now, please rate me as that is the only way I receive compensation for my time and expertise! I wish you and Maple Sugar all the best!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am currently in a busy café where I am unable to call you! I am so sorry! Can I offer you a phone call once I am home, or would you rather I Opt Out of this question so that you can ask another veterinarian for a phone call?

I am going off line at this time, but I will check back with later this evening to see your response.

Take care!

I'm checking back now, and still don't see a reply from you about your wishes. I will check back again tomorrow!

Hello again! I still don't see a reply from you. I hope that things are well. Take care!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. M. Brink

If you don't have further questions, please rate me as that's the only way I receive compensation for my time and expertise. Take care, and thank you!