Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My is 59 days pregnant has been nesting the past few days

Customer Question

hi my bitch is 59 days pregnant has been nesting the past few days but still running around playing and my male follows her everywhere smelling her and her waste products. is she due to deliver soon its her 2nd litter
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: she has had some runny poos and wees alot
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: gemma and she is american staffy x mastiff. she is 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gemma?
Customer: no she very healthy dog. first litter was a breeze no problems at all she delivered on day 60 last time
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

The average gestation length is 62-64 days from ovulation. Due to variability in the time of ovulation compared to the time of standing behavior in the bitch and the long time sperm are viable in the female reproductive tract, gestation length from a single breeding can range from 58 (bred late) to 71 days (bred early). While not written in stone, many bitches will have a drop in body temperature below 37.8C 24 hours before delivering. Most will eat 1/2 of their usual amount of food on the day preceding delivery. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok that helps thankyou i will stay on guard and keep good eye on her over the weekend.is there a reason my male keeps following her around

Males are easily confused by the hormonal and prostaglandin changes going on in Gemma right now. See if you can keep him away for now in order to lessen the stress on her. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?