Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My spayed dog has been bleeding from the vulva 2 months.

Customer Question

My spayed dog has been bleeding from the vulva for almost 2 months. There is also mucous with this. Shen has been on 3 different types of antibiotics and is on prednisone currently. She has had xrays twice and everything appeared fine. She has been sedated and received an internal exam. but nothing was found although, the bladder is irritated. Tomorrow I am taking her in for an ultra sound. This is not a bladder infection and the Dr. says it is not cancer. Any ideas as to what is causing this or treatment that I need to pursue? one other thing, I was out of state for 2 weeks and had boarded her at a pace that I have used before. This problem started while she was there.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is 5 years old. She would not eat or drink or play when I first picked her up from where she was boarded. Her blanket was saturated with urine. Probably due to the antibiotics she is fine now, except for this problem.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago was she spayed?

Has your vet taken a swab of the vaginal cavity and cultured it or looked at the cells under the microscope?